You can't go wrong with serving crab cakes as appetizers, it's a crowd pleaser for sure. It is also a good complement when meat is being served as a main course dish. I suggest making mini cakes so guests can easily nibble while making interesting pre-dinner conversation.
Savory Crab Cakes
Makes four-six entrée servings or 20-24 hors d’ oeuvre size
chefgeorgehirsch.com | George Hirsch Lifestyle
3/4 pound Maryland lump crabmeat
2 teaspoons each- thyme, basil, parsley
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 drops hot sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
1 egg, beaten
5 drops lemon juice
1/2 cup Fresh ground bread crumbs
1/4 sweet onion, minced
1 rib celery, minced
1 green onion, minced
1/4 pound Maryland lump or super lump crab meat
1 cup each- fine corn meal and fresh breads crumbs, mixed for breading of crab cakes
Olive oil for sautéing crab cakes
- Mix all ingredients in step one.
- Gently mix in remaining crabmeat in Step Two, do not over mix.
- Pre heat a non-stick pan to medium heat.
- Form crab cakes into desired size serving pieces and place in breading mix. Lightly coat outside of crab cakes with bread crumb mixture forming into patties.
- Add olive oil to sauté pan and carefully place crab cakes in pan, cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown turning once.
- Serve crab cakes with lemon and cocktail, tartar or marinara sauce on side.